Made with Xara
© Barns Green - A Local History of The Great War 2014
Return Return
Ernest Harold Hamley Woodward (1888-1916) - 2Lt The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regiment) Ernest   Harold   Hamley   Woodward    was   born   on   the   28 th    January   1888,   the   elder   of   two   sons   born   to   the   Reverend   Alfred   Ernest Woodward and his wife Alice Harriett (nee Hamley). Ernest’s   father   was   both   a   Clerk   in   Holy   Orders   and   a   teacher,   and   was   an   Assistant   Master   at   Christ’s   Hospital   in   the   1911   census. Edward    was    educated    at    Christ’s    Hospital,    London    and    then    at    Hartford    College,    Oxford    and    he    is    recorded    as    an    “Oxford undergraduate” living with his parents at Christ’s Hospital in 1911. The   final   part   of   his   education   was   at   Grenoble   University,   France   and   on   graduating   he   became   a   schoolteacher   like   his   father   and   held positions   as   Assistant   Classical   Master   and   Football   Coach   at   Oundle   School,   and   subsequently   Assistant   Classical   Master   at   Perse School, Cambridge. In   September   1914   he   volunteered   for   active   service,   refusing   a   commission,   and   enlisting   as   Pte   PS/2270   with   the   18 th    Bn   Royal Fusiliers (1 st  Public Schools Battalion). He   served   with   the   Battalion   as   part   of   the   BEF   in   France   and   Flanders   from   1915   to   1916,   rising   to   the   rank   of   Corporal   (July   1915). When   the   Public   Schools      and   Universities   battalion   were   disbanded   in   March   1916   he   applied   for   Officer   Training   and   was   accepted   into the 6 th  Office Cadet Battalion at Balliol College, Oxford. In   July   1916   he   passed   out   of   training   and   was   granted   a   commission   as   2 nd    Lieutenant   with   the   3 rd    Bn   The   Queen’s   (Royal   West   Surrey Regiment). At the beginning of August 1916 he was posted to the 8 th  Bn The Queens and then a month later moved to the 10 th . It   appears   from   the   somewhat   scant   details   in   the   War   Diary   that   Ernest   was   a   replacement   following   the   loss   and   wounding   of   a   large number of officers between the 15 th  and 17 th  of September as he joined the depleted Battalion on the 27 th  of that month. The   diary   for   the   next   three   months   records   little   action   and   few   casualties   and   by   late   December   the   Battalion   was   in   the   trenches   at Ridge Wood – part of the Ypres salient. A single entry for the 24 th  December reads “2 nd  Lt E.H.WOODWARD missing and reported killed on patrol” His   body   was   never   found   and   he   has   no   know   grave   but   is   listed   on   the   Menin   Gate   Memorial   at   Ypres.   As   a   Christ’s   Hospital   school “Old    Blue”    he    is    also    listed    on    the    school’s    Roll    of    Honour    and    the    is    also    recorded    on    the    War    Memorial    of    Perse    School    in Cambridgeshire. He was awarded the 1914/15 Star, the Victory and British War Medals for his service. .His service record survives and can be found at the National Archives in Kew.
The Fallen